Gary T. Smith
2519 Auburn Dr. Cocoa, FL 32926
To be a member of a team that utilizes my extensive web development skills and knowledge.
Cocoa, FL / Koloa, HI — 2009-Present
As an independent freelance consultant I worked with clients who were themselves web developers. I added advanced functionality to their projects that was beyond their abilities. I also coached them and helped them upgrade to a modern workflow using git and virtual machines to work on projects offline.
- Implement a custom cross platform development framework for a web development company that facilitates rapid creation of web and ios/android apps based on industry standards and techniques. Using a combination of devops tools such as vagrant and chef and front end tools like grunt and bower , team members have a standardized development environment.
- Standardize the new development environment by implementing a gitlab server . Coach the team in the use of git and issue tracking and support them with wikis that document the use of the new tools made available to them.
- Build Lamp Stack base boxes that include the tools necessary to work with the new development environment. This allowed all team members to have the same development environment on their development machines regardless of the host OS.
- Integration of “ The Real Estate Transaction Standard “ ( RETS ) to synchronize the clients database and images with their remote mls services database and images to allow the client to have total control over what and how all listings are returned via search results on the client’s website.
- Integrate the Time Share Ware API ( http://timeshareware.com/ ) using SOAP to create a secure web site where timeshare owners can pay maintenance fees and vote on issues and board members for a Resort on Kauai.
Web Developer / System Administrator
Graphic Communication / Tsunami Marketing (Advertising Agency)
Kalaheo, HI — 1996-2009
I created hand coded highly functional websites from scratch using photoshop comps and graphics from designers. I was responsible for all forms of technology used in web development as well as in our office. I was also responsible for the security and integrity of our data including backups and virus scanning.
- Create custom ecommerce shopping cart systems using PayPal’s PayFlow or Website Payments Pro as the back-end credit card processor. Allow shoppers to checkout with Paypal or a credit card. Use PayPals IPN to allow customers to purchase downloadable files.
- Create interactive web elements to enhance the look and feel of clients sites. Some examples are popup and flat calendars for date selection, popup dialogs for form errors and confirmations and popup dialogs for slideshows and videos. Ajax enabled slideshow. Image rotation. Form elements such as pull down menus can be populated dynamically based on selections from other form elements.
- Implement, upgrade, configure and support internal file server and local workstations , hard drives , memory , routers , switches , tape drives , monitors , projectors , inkjet and laser printers , telephones and alarm systems. Install cat5 and telephone wiring .
World Wide Web
Web Development — 1995-Present
I started web development in 1995, there were no courses. I added skills as the technology was implemented and became widely adopted.
- Web development environments on UNIX platforms, Mac OS X , Linux , Solaris . LAMP Stacks .
- Integrating with third-party APIs using REST , CURL , JSON and XML
- Understanding of Internet services/protocols ( Apache , Sendmail , Postfix , HTTP , FTP , SMTP , POP , DNS , etc.)
- Update and deploy sites via ssh , ftp , git and svn .
- Strong troubleshooting and problem analysis/resolution skills.
Available upon request.
View my portfolio at http://p.kc.gs/